Providing Youth Opportunities to Learn and Grow
Out of School Time (OST) refers to more than traditional “after school time” -- it includes the time before and after school hours, during holiday breaks, and summer break. OST covers a wide range of programs that promote learning, take place outside of regular school hours, and enhance the cognitive, social, physical, artistic and/or civic development of youth. OST programs provide a safe, accessible space, operate at both school and community sites, and encourage youth to explore the world around them.
Out of school time programs meet a number of community needs:
- Safe, structured place for children and youth while parents work
- Offers youth development supports and opportunities to assist youth in becoming healthy, successful adults
- Learning activities that can complement the lessons of the school day
- Enrichment opportunities designed to explore the world around them
- Healthy physical fitness and recreational activities
- A place to have fun!